The South East Europe Media Organisation (SEEMO), calls for nominations for the 2018 Dr Erhard Busek-SEEMO Award for Better Understanding in South, Eastern and Central Europe. Eligible to be nominated are journalists, editors, media executives, media experts, writers or journalism trainers in South, East and Central Europe, who have contributed to promoting better understanding in the region and have worked towards ending minority-related problems, ethnic divisions, racism, xenophobia, gender discrimination, homophobia, etc. The winner will be awarded EUR 2,500.
The award is sponsored by Dr. Erhard Busek, former Vice-Chancellor of Austria, Jean Monnet Professor ad personam, President of the Institute for the Danube Region and Central Europe, Coordinator of the Southeast European Cooperative Initiative (SECI) and Former Special Coordinator of the Stability Pact for South Eastern Europe.
The deadline for applications is 15 October 2018 noon (12.00) Central European Time. All application materials must be received by the deadline.
Should you wish to nominate a candidate for the 2018 Dr. Erhard Busek SEEMO Award for Better Understanding in South, Eastern and Central Europe, please fill out the registration form and send the following materials attached to the form:
1. Letter of nomination with basic details about the candidate and the reasons why you would like to nominate them (in English);
2. Curriculum Vitae with photo of the candidate (in English);
3. Additional materials: please include a document in word or pdf with a list of the candidate’s merits; information about the media outlet(s) that have published and/or broadcast the candidate’s work; relevant material, including copies of articles (jpg), word or pdf document with links to newspaper article / webpage / video / radio material / you tube or other webpage. For bigger files (more than 1 MB) please use a webtransfer / Google drive (please send the link to the document / file and permission to view and download the document / file) and send in a word document or pdf the link.
Video, audio and print material in local languages should be accompanied by a short synopsis in English. If materials are available online, please send a document that lists the relevant links as supporting material.
4. Your contact information: name; address; cell phone, phone and fax number; email address, by email and registered post;
5. Candidate’s contact information: name, address, phone number and email address,by email and registered post;
6. If you would like to nominate a media outlet, an organisation or an institution, please include details about the person who would accept the award on its behalf, by email and registered post;
7. If your nomination is supported by an organisation or a media outlet, please send us the name, email and phone of a contact person from the institution supporting your nomination and a short supporting letter, by email and registered post;
8. If your nomination is supported by an individual or individuals, please send us their details, contact information (email, phone) and a short supporting letter, by email and registered post.
Please do not send any material via regular post or email. All necessary documents are to be submitted online.
The candidates must come from or work in or cover the following geographic area (standard SEEMO region): Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Austria, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia (Republic of Macedonia / FYROM), Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.
The winner will be chosen by an international jury composed of distinguished journalists and media experts. Members of the jury cannot be nominated for the award.
An official press release in November 2018 will announce the winner.
The award will be presented on 29 November 2018 in Austria. Travel and hotel expenses of the winner to the presentation will be covered.
Previous winners of the Dr. Erhard Busek-SEEMO Award for Better Understanding in South East Europe are:
Marina Constantinoiu, journalist and editor, Romania
Erol Onderoglu, journalist and press freedom worker, Istanbul, Turkey
Radomir Licina (Serbia) founder and senior editor daily Danas;
Željka Lekić-Subašić (Bosnia and Herzegovina), head of ERNO (Eurovision News Exchange for Southeast Europe) Coordination Office;
Nenad Šebek (Greece) executive director of the Center for Democracy and Reconciliation in Southeast Europe (CDRSEE) in Thessaloniki for 12 years, developing and working on a wide variety of programmes, from the joint history project to the regional television talk show “Vicinities”;
International Academy (Serbia) for the project Media and Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities;
Jeta Xharra (Kosovo) director of the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN), as well as a presenter on, and the editor-in-chief of, “Life in Kosovo”;
Drago Hedl, (Croatia) journalist, Zagreb-based daily Jutarnji List;
Omer Karabeg (Bosnia and Herzegovina), journalist, South Slavic and Albanian Language Service program of Radio Free Europe (RFE/RL), founder and editor of the radio program Most (Bridge), Prague, Czech Republic;
Boris Bergant (Slovenia), co-founder of the Alpe Adria broadcasting project, former deputy-president of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) and former deputy director of Radio Television Slovenia;
Brankica Stankovic (Serbia), author of the TV program ‘Insajder’, produced by B92 Television, Belgrade, Serbia;
Milena Dimitrova (Bulgaria), columnist, Sofia-based daily Trud, Bulgaria;
Danko Plevnik (Croatia), columnist, Split-based daily Slobodna Dalmacija;
Brankica Petkovic (Slovenia), Head of the Center for Media Policy, Peace Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia;
Kemal Kurspahic (Bosnia and Herzegovina / USA), editor-in-chief of the Sarajevo-based daily Oslobodjenje during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina and author of Prime Time Crime;
Denis Latin (Croatia) author of the TV program ‘Latinica’, Croatian Radio Television (HRT).
Please use following registration form.